Things may be a bit quirky and strange around here, the most obvious would be a 6-month gap between this post and the rest of the posts in this blog. That’s the casualty of another episode of hackers taking over and screwing with my blog.
It was a total nightmare! I thought my theme were injected with malicious code again and once it’s removed the problem would be fixed. However, the problem was more serious than I thought. No matter which theme I use, the problem was still there; my pages and posts would only be displayed up to the title and the rest of the post/page just vanished.
The strange thing is, only the Archives page displayed as it should. However, I cannot make sense why this was so. I checked and re-checked the theme files of every theme in my blog and found no malicious code. This was something more complicated for my meager PHP/CSS programming skills could handle. For I found a folder in my root directory containing codes that inserted spam into my blog’s posts and pages. Since the hackers have already set a foothold in my blog, drastic measures had to be taken.
So with frustration and sleep deprivation settling in, I had no choice but to resort to deleting my old blog and starting again from a clean install. Everything went fine until it turned out that the latest copy of my blog’s database was damaged. So I had to revert to an older copy which I made six months ago. Meaning 6 months’s worth of posts went down the drain. Curse those damned hackers!
So now I beefed up the security of this blog, installing additional plugins like the Theme Authenticity Checker which scans each theme for malicious code as advised by my good friend Jaypee. I’ve also changed the password to a longer more secure one and I’ve also disabled user registration.
Another lesson in blogging learned the hard and painful way. Hopefully, this would be enough to protect my blog from hackers and spammers. Stay safe everyone!