We all know that Yahoo! Mail is still the most popular web mail service around and even though thousands us have made the switched to Gmail, there would still come a time that we would a Yahoo! Account for some of the services we sign up or use.
Among this is that classic mail-list service called Yahoo! Groups. Almost any group or organization has used this service for their group communication and mail-subscription needs.
College students and their professors are some of the most regular users of this and since most are still With Yahoo! Mail, Yahoo! Groups becomes the default choice for a group mailing list service.
Gmail users like me, fret not. For there is a way to bridge the gap and let us join any Yahoo! Group; send and receive messages to and from the group using our beloved Gmail accounts.
- When you receive the invitation to join a Yahoo! Group, simply click on the join button and you’d be taken to the Yahoo! Sign-in page. This is where you would need your old Yahoo! account ID and password. Of course if you don’t you could always sign-up for a new one, just for the purpose of joining this Yahoo! Group.
- Once you’ve logged into Yahoo! Groups using your Yahoo! account, you’ll be taken to the Edit Membership page. In step 1, find “Email Address” section and below your Yahoo! email address, there’s a link that says “Add new email address“. Click on it and you’ll proceed to the third step.
- Once inside the ‘Add Email Address‘ page, enter the Gmail account you want to use with this Yahoo! Account and Group. Once you’ve completed the form, an verification email will be sent to the Gmail account you’ve just entered in.
- Login to your Gmail account, look for the verification email from Yahoo! and complete the verification process by simply clicking the link provided in there.
- Once you’ve verified the Gmail address, you would again be taken back into the ‘Edit Membership‘ page inside the Yahoo! Groups section. You would then see that your Gmail address is among the addresses you could with this Yahoo! Group. Click on that and complete the rest of the process.
- If all goes well, and it should, you would see a confirmation page that says you’ve become a member of that Yahoo! Group and you’re still going to use your awesome Gmail account.
This same process could be used if you want to again change the email address you’re going to use with this or any other Yahoo! Group. It would also come in handy if you decide to leave the group for whatever reasons, (usually when the spam has infested the group!) or use a non-Gmail address.
All in all, this gives you the best of both worlds, Yahoo! Groups and your beloved Gmail account.