When Globe rolled out the new generation of Globe Tattoo Broadband USB sticks that had the capability to make phone calls I was a bit ticked off because I just bought mine a month earlier.
I may rarely use my Globe Tattoo USB stick, like in places where there’s no WiFi and I really need to go online, having the ability to make calls from the USB dongle can be nifty feature when the need arises.
Fortunately, there’s a fix and it simply involves upgrading both the firmware and software of the Globe Tattoo Broadband USB Stick.
The first step is to identify what model is your Huawei USB Stick. You can find it printed on the back side of the USB stick:
Then visit the Globe Tattoo Broadband’s “Tattoo upgrade” page on its website and download the appropriate firmware and software update for your particular model.
Once the download is complete, simply follow the directions below:
- Insert the Globe Tattoo stick into a vacant USB port.
- Download the firmware and software upgrade from the Globe Tattoo site. Save it on a folder on your PC (preferably the Desktop, so that you won’t have problems finding it)
- Double-click the file with “Update” first to launch the firmware upgrade wizard.
- Read through and accept the license agreement. Click “Next” to continue. The wizard will then search for the USB stick.
- Click “Next” on the succeeding dialog boxes, and click “Start” on the update wizard when it appears.
- Once the update process is complete, click “OK” and click “Finish.”
- Then go back to your downloaded files, this time double-click on the software upgrade file to launch software upgrade wizard. Follow steps 4 to 6.
- Go to My Computer, and double-click the Globe Broadband icon to install the new application software.
- Click “Yes” to uninstall the old application and re-install the new Globe Tattoo application software.
Once the update is complete, you can now rest assure that the USB stick will work properly with your PC and now you can make calls using your Globe Tattoo.
UPDATE: You can see a step-by-step visual guide of the firmware upgrade here, courtesy of Globe Tattoo.
Install the firmware update first. You can identify it through its file name which contains the model number of your Huawei USB stick followed by the word “Update” like in my case: “E1552Update_“.
Globe advises that the update be done using a PC that’s running on Windows XP because of some problems with Vista’s “reliability and stability”. However, I did the update on my laptop running Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 2 and did not have any problems while updating my Huawei USB stick. So I suggest you update Vista with the latest updates from Microsoft to make it more stable and secure.