Here’s the latest plugin I’ve installed just to make a subtle yet cool update to this blog. It’s called Timeago by Asad Khan of WP Splash. The plugin does one simple thing, it allows you to display fuzzy dates on your blog posts and comments just like on Twitter, Facebook, Gmail and other social networking sites.
Here’s a few neat reasons why:
- The fuzzy date/time updates live while you are on the page, without requiring page reload.
- It makes your site appear more lively and user friendly.
- timeago uses microformats.
- Fuzzy date is applied to the comments automatically, even if the default wordpress comments loop is being used. No painful rewriting required.
- Shows time relative to user’s timezone. Normally, the date/time displayed by wordpress is based on the timezone set in wordpress configurations.
It works out-of-the-box and automatically converts your date and times into fuzzy equivalent. Though it may look a bit weird in your theme, it can be tweaked by following Asad Khan’s advice.
The plugin is compatible with the latest version of WordPress and installing it as easy as pie.